The names of Sheriffs of Newcastle are recorded since 1400 {Charter of Henry IV}, the first Sheriff being William Redmarshall.

The practice was discontinued upon local government reorganisation in 1974. The title of Sheriff was re-introduced in 1996 and added to that of Deputy Lord Mayor. The more common form of address is simply “Sheriff”.

Since the Local Government Act 1972, the Deputy Lord Mayor/Sheriff has full status as Vice-Chair of the Council, having been appointed at the Annual Meeting by the full Council. The Deputy Lord Mayor/Sheriff is given precedence immediately after the Lord Mayor and carries out all the functions of the Lord Mayor in his or her absence.

The Armorial Bearings of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne are of interest. The three towered triple castle motif goes back to earliest times for originally the town took its name from the “New Castle” built by order of Robert Curthose, eldest son of William the Conqueror, in 1080 and a castle was depicted on the twelfth century common seal.

The motto, “Fortitur Defendit Triumphans” (“Triumphing by Brave Defence”) was adopted during the Civil War , probably following the stubborn defence of the town against the Scots in 1644.